Saturday, April 9, 2011

Chili in April???

First of all...I am sorry for my absence on the blog. My computer has been down for the last 6 weeks, and the computer I was using was S...L...O...W! My computer is fixed...and so my blogging will continue!

NOW...Who would of thought that we would be eating chili in April. Usually at this time, we are in the 90s and starting to dread our hot summer months, but today we got a great break. Cold and rainy!! Bill and I had a busy day, so this morning I decided to make some chili in the slow cooker. When we came home late this afternoon, it smelled fabulous! I love my slow cooker, and how easy it can make my life!

 Here is what you need to make this delicious chili...
 Oops..forgot to add the tomato sauce to the picture.

Arizona Chili

1 lb. ground turkey
1/2 lb sweet Italian turkey sausage
2 large garlic cloves
2 jalapenos
1 large onion
1 bell pepper-any color
2 cans of diced tomatoes
2 8oz cans of tomato sauce
1/3 bottle of beer 
1/2 tsp dried basil
5 (or more) tsp chili powder
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp brown sugar
red pepper flakes-to your taste
red pepper-to your taste
splash of red wine


Cook turkey and sausage. Drain the meat and add to slow cooker. Now, add the rest of the ingredients to slow cooker. Make sure you are tasting the chili as you add spices, to make sure it is to your liking. Cook on low heat 6-8 hours. Enjoy!




You can't have chili without cornbread! I have been REALLY limiting my gluten, and I have been of off dairy since February. The recipe calls for butter and milk, and if you can have those then PLEASE use those instead of Almond milk and non-dairy butter. I LOVE Bob's Red Mill products, and I have not had a mix I have not liked. They even pass the "Bill" test :) We had this cornbread with dinner tonight, which was fabulous!




Cornbread 
Red Mill's Cornbread Mix
1 1/2 cups of milk
1/3 cup oil or melted butter
2 eggs 


Follow directions on package! Enjoy!


xoxo

Meggan


No comments:

Post a Comment