Friday, June 10, 2011

Black Bean Quinoa Salad

Well I officially on summer break, so one of my goals is to blog more! I have tried some amazing recipes recently, and I need to share them with. My first recipe today is perfect for hot summer days!

With it being a 100 degrees today, I decided I wanted a nice cold salad for dinner tonight. This has become one of my favorite salads, and it can definitely be a complete meal. The best part is it's healthy, gluten free + dairy free! Quinoa can be expensive, so I recommend getting it at Costco. You will obviously get a lot, so if you have never had it before Trader Joe's had great price for organic quinoa in smaller box. All of the fruit, veggies and herbs were on sale, so I made this enter salad for less than $5. We will get at least 4 meals out it, so it is a VERY cost effective meal! 

The first time I saw this recipe it made me think of something I would take to a family potluck. As many of you know, my family is LARGE so for every family gathering everyone brings something to share. From pastas to salads, we never run out of food! I will have to make this next time I am in Oregon ♥






Black Bean Quinoa Salad

1 mango, peeled and diced small
1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced small
1 cup thinly sliced scallions
1 cup chopped cilantro
1 TBSP canola oil (vegetable oil works too!)
2 TBSP balsamic vinegar
1/4 TSP salt
1/2 tsp ground pepper
2 cups cooked quinoa, cooled (about 3/4 cup raw)
1 15oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
1-2 finely diced jalapeno peppers (optional)


Mix everything together. Put in the refrigerator to cool completely + serve cold if possible. Enjoy!


xoxo

Meggan

1 comment: