Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Celery Soup

Last week I made chicken salad and I had extra celery left over. I love celery, but there is only so much I can eat of it raw. I remembered when my parents were here in March my dad made a celery soup, so I decided to pull out the recipe. This is a GREAT recipe to use up the extra celery, so I don't end up throwing it away when it goes bad. I know it is over 100 degrees here right now, and hot soup does not sound the best, but it was delicious! You can always freeze to soup, and eat it when it gets cooler too! It is super simple to make, and REALLY healthy! And of course gluten free + dairy free!


Here is what you need!

Let the onion, celery + potatoes cook a bit

Add the broth and bring to a boil. Then cover, simmer and cook for  about 30 minutes

Puree the soup and enjoy!



Celery Soup

5 cups chicken stock
1 1/2 TBSP butter (I used my vegan Good Earth butter)
1 large onion, diced
1 large Idaho Potato, peeled and diced
1 bunch celery, trimmed, in 1/2 inch pieces (I used the leaves and everything)
1/4 TSP kosher salt
1/8 TSP white pepper (you can use black if you don't have white)
2 TBSP cream, optional (I used my almond milk and it was perfect + makes it dairy free)


Melt the butter in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onion and stir well to coat. Let the onion cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently then add the potato and celery. Stir frequently. Add the broth, salt and pepper. and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until celery is soft (about 30 minutes).


Puree the soup using a immersion blender (or food processor or blender) until smooth. If you use food processor or blender, do it in 2-3 batches. Enjoy!

xoxo

Meggan

1 comment:

  1. We make the soup every time we have left over celery. One of my favorites

    ReplyDelete