Thursday, February 17, 2011

Bok Choy??

Bill + I joined a organic co-op about a year ago. Once a week, we go to a lady's home in Scottsdale and pick up a large paper bag filled with organic fruits and veggies, which we LOVE. In my quest to be healthy, I am trying to eat as much as organic as my wallet will let me. Some weeks it is definitely more than others ☺

In the beginning of our co-op experience, we were getting food we were familiar with until one day I saw some weird green leafy thing that kind of looked like an onion, but at the same time it looked like lettuce. I was completely baffled by it, and had to refer to the list given to me to identify what it was I was looking at. Apparently it was called bok choy, which I had never heard of until I saw it in our bag. I had no idea what to do with it. So of course the first thing any girl does is call her mom and her mother-in-law to see what they do with it. Marty (MIL) said she had used it for an oriental salad, so I thought I could try that...I like salad!

I found a recipe my grandma had given me, and substituted the shredded cabbage for bok choy. They are both green, so it should work was my thought...

I got lucky and it did! This now one of our favorite salads (I even get requests from Bill, which means something in my book ♥) This is what we are having for dinner tonight!



Oriental Bok Choy Salad

2-3 small heads of bok choy
4-5 green onions
1 cup slivered almonds, toasted
3 tbsp. sesame seeds, toasted
1 pkg. ramen noodles, crumbled (we use chicken flavor)
1 can Mandarin Oranges
2 boneless skinless chicken breast, cooked, shredded

Dressing
1/2-3/4 cup olive oil (depends on how much dressing you like on your salad)
6 tbsp. rice vinegar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 pkg. noodle seasoning

Place all salad ingredients in a large bowl. Set aside. In a small bowl combine dressing ingredients and whisk together.  Pour over salad. Enjoy!


xoxo

Meggan

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know what Bok Choy was either:) Can't wait to try this salad!

    ReplyDelete