Friday, February 25, 2011

Using our cookbooks...

For our wedding, we received 20 cookbooks...I kid you not! I have been trying to use them, but with so many I sometimes I just get overwhelmed.  My new challenge for myself is to use the cookbooks as I look through the deals of the week. I like recipes that use common ingredients rather than the randoms that I will never use again, which can add to my challenge. This week Haddock (white fish...like cod) was on sale at Sprouts for $3.97 per pound (1 pound was perfect for us). When I saw this,  I went to a cookbook I knew had fish recipes in it and began to look around...

For one of my showers, I received a wonderful cookbook at blanchard's table from my amazing MOB2( Mother of the Bride 2). Here is a little background on my MOB2... first of all she has a real name, Yvonne. Yvonne has been on of my mom's best friends since before I was born. Yvonne and her husband never had children, so my brothers and I became her surrogate children. When Bill and I became engaged, Yvonne immediately jumped in as my MOB2 and helped us with planning. In May of 2010, she was diagnosed with breast cancer, but that did not stop her! She continued to help us with designing our reception even through her chemo. She even scheduled her chemo around our wedding, so she would be sick on the day of. On top of being so amazing, she is a great cook. So the cookbook means more to me than just a cookbook I received as a wedding shower gift...it is a cookbook I will always treasure from my MOB2.

In the cookbook, I found a recipe that called for swordfish, but I replaced it with the Haddock. This is a fantastic recipe...simple and delicious! I would definitely recommend EVERYONE to make this!

Sweet-and-Sour Swordfish with Onions, Raisins, and Tomatoes

1/4 cup olive oil
2 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
1/3 dry white wine
2 tsp dried oregano
2 cups canned whole plum tomatoes with their juice
1/4 cup raisins
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup chopped parsley-we did not use because we did not have any.
4 swordfish steaks (each about 8 oz and 1 inch thick)-we used the Haddock instead

In a large pot, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium-low heat and cook the onions until soft but not brown. Add the wine, reduce the heat and cook until all the liquid is absorbed and the onions are very soft. Increase the heat to medium, add the oregano, and cook for 2 minutes.


Add the tomatoes with their juice and break them into pieces using a spoon. Bring to boil, then simmer gently until thickened, 4-5 minutes. Add raisins, brown sugar, salt, pepper and parsley.


Brush fish with the remaining olive oil, sprinkle it with salt and pepper, and cook on the grill, in a sauté pan, or under the broiler for about 5 minutes on each side (until the fish flakes). Divide most of the sauce on dinner plates and place fish on each. Top with remaining sauce. Enjoy!



The entire cost of our meal was just under $6.00. I did not have to buy anything specific for the recipe besides the fish, which makes it more cost effective.

Tip of the Day: Use recipes that use common ingredients...it will save you a lot of money.

xoxo

Meggan

No comments:

Post a Comment